Close Call with a Miraculous Ending
It is hard to read this without feeling a chill. What a close call:
Vet intern spots tick just before paralyzed dog was to be euthanized
Was the dog suffering from Cancer? A spinal fracture? No…
A tick was found lodged behind Ollie’s ear, and Fate thought he may have picked it up on a recent camping trip.
The parasite was discovered just in the nick of time by a veterinary intern.
“He was in the room about to get put to sleep, and it was just pure grace that the people found something and decided to check it out further,” Fate explained.
“They have a neurotoxin in their saliva that prevents nerve transition to the muscles, and that takes time to build up in the body and cause paralysis like what we saw in Ollie,” Stone said.
In less than 10 hours after having the tick removed, Ollie the Collie was up and about — thank goodness. If there has ever been a more powerful reminder of the value of sharp eyes, of a willingness to run through all the possibilities, we’d certainly love to hear it!